2 hours later and I fixed a lot of edge loops and made triangles into quads. There's a few more triangles on the arm and the hand but I made some progress and that's great. The next step is to screenshot a front view, a profile view, and a quarter view to design the character Kim. With the screen shots I will draw over them and make changes on the ipad pro in sketchbook pro app. I find that this app is quick and easy to use for taking notes and drawing.
I do a lot of hybrid work with traditional tools and digital software, sometimes even working backwards and that's what this is. Instead of drawing a character sheet from scratch for reference I will draw based on the 3D model I created. Starting from a 3D model I have a human base to work with and with this I can scale my design to fit proportionally to this model.
A sketch of some quick changes I made. I don't like the eyelids on the original model, they're too strong and defined. A softer eyelid with a smaller crease will simplify her look. Her eye shape is very flat so I changed it to a rounder shape. It's all in the subtle details that make her unique. After all she has to stand out from her male counterpart.
I want to design high school uniforms for these characters. There is still a long way to go just to get to the rigging part but it's best to ensure the proper topology for deformation and the visual style. Not only that but movement...it's the characters persona, how they carry themselves throughout the story. I can design a really cool character but with a really boring personality because it's alive in animation. It's not just what he or she said, it's what they do and how they do.